Saturday, June 20, 2015

Leadership and Youth, by Laura



Sitting down at the end of our tour of the Kigali Genocide Memorial I couldn't stop looking at my hands. I have ten fingers and ten toes and I know too many people who take that for granted, me especially. I have every bone in my body intact and my veins are full of blood. Today, the genocide came to life.That sounds like an undesirable thing, but it could not be more of the opposite.  I received a needed refresher on the history of conflict between the socioeconomic classes in Rwanda: the Tutsi and the Hutu. 250,000 Rwandan people lay in the grounds of the memorial, and their presence thickens the air. The horrors are unfathomable to those who did not see them first hand, but I think we got the best second hand experience possible. The museum is so encompassing of all that the genocide symbolizes. It honors those who deserve to be remembered and it refuses to sugarcoat the truth. What resonated the deepest with me was a room dedicated to the children whose lives were stolen from them. The power was in the few matter-of-fact words that shared facts about the children. They provided things like their age, favorite sport, favorite food, or best friend. Each blurb ended the same way: with the specific way they were brutally killed. The potential in the eyes of each child was obliterated by unwarranted evil. There was a room full of skulls that once stood on the necks of Rwandans. In the dark room the light shined on their empty skulls. They deserved faces. I stood there trying to imagine the real people I was standing in front of. My heart has never felt that heavy but I'm so glad I got to learn the truth. After our tour, we had the privilege to speak with the Director of the Memorial who came in on a Saturday morning to meet with our group.  He shared with us the online archive his team has developed. In exploring it with him I realized that the museum captured the sentiments perfectly, but to learn all that I have, you do not need to travel farther than your nearest computer and type in http://www.genocidearchiverwanda.org.rw/index.php/Welcome_to_Genocide_Archive_Rwanda.
Honoré (the Director) answered questions we all had in such interesting and comprehensive ways. He managed to explain to us that the resilience of Rwanda lies in its leadership and its people. He addressed one of our biggest curiosities about the role of freedom of speech in Rwanda and shared that the definition of freedom of speech varies, and that that fact is constructive rather than destructive. I leave today with an immense respect for the ability of Rwanda to move forward but also hold on to the past without dwelling in it.





"He who saves a single  life saves the world entire"  Talmud
Honore Gatera and our teacher team!

In keeping with the whole trip, we closed our day with a dinner at the home of the Country Director for the Rwanda Office of Women for Women International--Antoinette Uwimana.  She welcomed us warmly into her home where we had dinner with her extended family.  Everyone has welcomed us, seeking to open their homes and hearts as we gather our stories of Rwanda.  




No comments:

Post a Comment