Thursday, June 18, 2015

Family, by Tatiyana



Being in Rwanda has been an interesting contrast from what we experienced in Tanzania. The people who populate either place are very different in how they carry themselves and even the physical makeup of each city and town. In my eyes, Rwanda seems similar to that of a dystopian society with happy young men armed with AK-47’s stationed at most buildings because keeping the peace among the people is their job.  Although it might be intimidating, I have never felt safer in my entire life. The theme of protecting and being there for those in need is very present in the many places we have visited while on this journey especially in the youth orphan facility we visited today called Agahozo Shalom Youth Village which is a facility made for Rwandan children who were orphaned by the genocide and are vulnerable and in need of help. I was deeply impacted by how the teenagers carried themselves while we were in their presence. Although they experienced traumatic loss, they acted like normal teenagers--laughing, playing and making jokes. But even though these children have faced hardships in life they continue to push themselves to become useful members of their society through receiving an education and honing their leadership skills. Being in the presence of these children was one of the best experiences of this trip because witnessing the way they have connected with one another to become a family and heal the wounds that were made from their past makes me reflect on the way I connect with those around me to build my own family.  I cannot wait to see what the rest of our journey through Rwanda holds and what is waiting to be discovered. 





(technical issues....more pics tomorrow!)



No comments:

Post a Comment